20120711

Say Hello to Hoy Cherry! (the Golden Apple Snail)






Does anyone knows the Golden Apple Snail? In Thai we called "Hoy Cherry". There is Hoy Cherry everywhere in Thailand especially at the paddy field (rice farms). Hoy Cherry is the real pest. It generates really fast and can eats the whole rice sprouts . So every season before the farmers start transplant rice seedings, Most of them are always poison Hoy Cherry with the toxic chemical. This is sad plus rice they produced is not organic.

I have searched on the internet about Hoy Cherry and I found out that Hoy Cherry is not a local snail in Thailand. It's hometown is at South Africa!

Hoy Cherry was brought to Thailand from Japan and Taiwan at first. We used it to shear the lichen and remains in an aquarium when feeding fish was very popular (before year 1987). In the same time, somebody tried to breeding Hoy Cherry for the consumption market but it was not a good idea so he lets them grow naturally in the river. Not too long from that day, Hoy Cherry becomes a big problem to Thai farmers.

One thing that I interested about Hoy Cherry is it's EGGs. Most of animals spawn at a secret place such as under leaves or in the soil but Hoy Cherry spawn right at the rice sprouts, above waters, with the bright pink color! What a bold snail!


As you know, everything happen for a reason. Now I'm telling you about the toxins trap of Hoy Cherry's pink eggs. Every single pink egg has 2 cover toxins. The first toxin is a protein called PV2 which will destroy bait's medulla. The bait will be weak slowly and can be die if it gets  too much PV2. The second toxin is right at the pink color. It's a protein called Ovorubin. Ovorubin will stop the processing of enzyme which is assimilating protein so the bait can't digest what it ate. 

But they said that the ant (Solenopsis geminata) can eat Hoy Cherry's eggs. I don't know why.

Anyhow, Hoy Cherry will just be in Thailand forever not different from the Water Hyacinth or the Sensitive Plant or the Cockroach or Thai People!





For me, I'm using Hoy Cherry and eggs to make a bio fermentation broth that I can use it to maintain the soil and raise some more nutrients. It effects to the plant, make them growing perfectly. When I went to reap Hoy Cherry from my cousin's paddy field. She looks very happy and also help me reap them too. We got about 20 kilograms of them to make a bio fermentation broth. 

If anyone want to see how I make bio fermentation broth from Hoy Cherry, you can come visit me here in Thailand! or you can just ask me and I will reply really soon.



Thank you these site for the information



3 comments:

  1. I didn't hear about this species of snails. They looks so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are kind of Alien species. They will be on earth forever!

      Delete
    2. hi there...how to make hoy cherry broth? thanks..

      Delete


You can also Like my Page on Facebook : Backyard Strawberry :D